Thursday, September 22, 2011

Drive belt squeals when A/C is running...?

99 Jeep XJ, my drive belt squeals something awful when my AC runs, I recently changed my alternator and in the process discovered how to adjust the drive belt... so I tightened it to where I thought it would stop squealing when AC is on, it is worse.... I can't beleive tightening it doesn't fix the problem, I need a new belt don't I?Drive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
You could have over tightened it. If it is all run off one belt, try taking some vaseline and VERY CAREFULLY put it on the belt when its running. If it stops squeaking then yes a new belt will likely stop the squeaking. If not you need to investigate your belt tensioner, and idler if you have one, the pulley on your power steering pump and you ac clutch. One of them is most likely squeaking from a bad bearing.Drive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
It might be the tensioner or the a/c compressor clutchDrive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
Maybe, or an new A/C compressor.Drive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
You surely need a new belt, but I would check the pully and tensioner to make sure you don't have a bearing out.Drive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
if over tighten you wil do more damadge to costly componentsDrive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
If the belt is truly tightened correctly, then yes you do.

Double check to make sure it didnt slip a bit as you were tightening it, I am not familiar with your particular application but I cant believe it doesnt have an automatic tensioner, is it positioned properly?Drive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
not necessarily so try rubbing a bar of soap on the belt (with the motor not running or spray some WD40 on the belt with the motor running --- KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAR OF THE FAN OR YOU MAY LOSE A FINGER OR WORSE -- GOOD LUCK and happy motoringDrive belt squeals when A/C is running...?
I would agree with KOOLSTER=D, you need to be sure the belt has proper tension, but not too much tension. Over tightening it can cause damage to your accessories and could be the reason for the squeal.