Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How to change a 1996 Audi A4 alternator?

I don't really know that much about cars but my car died the other day and I think something is wrong with either the battery or the alternator. How do I remove the alternator correctly? And about how much would a new one cost? And do I have to buy an alternator for an Audi or can it just be any kind?



One more thing... is an alternator easy to install? Like can I do it myself or should I take it to a shop and have mechanic do it?How to change a 1996 Audi A4 alternator?
I would strongly advise you take it to a professional. There is VERY little you can do on these cars yourself. Sorry, but if you attempt to fiddle with it, you will probably create more problems than you fix, and your repair bill will go up accordingly.



You will probably be looking at a bill of around $700-$800, if the alt is the problem.



Always disconnect the negative battery terminal before doing any work on the electrical system. Remove the serp belt with a long 0 offset wrench. Then lift the car safely on a hoist, remove the belly pan, wires and air duct. Remove the 2 bolts attaching the generator the bracket, and pull it out from the bottom.



You should use only a Bosch alternator, which will probably run you $400-$600. Call Carquest to find one.



BTW, what leads you to believe that alternator is bad?