We are having problems with our pt starting. My boyfriend has talked to a mechanic and it looks like it is the alternator but the mechanic needs the alternator to test it. Well our car is stuck at the house and doesnt start so my boyfriend is trying to take off alternator himself. It has been hard for him since the alternator is buried deep under all kinds of stuff so he thought it would be easier to get to it by going under the car. Even that has been a task to get it out. is there and easier way to get that alternator out? Help!How to change alternator for a 2002 Pt Cruiser?
Charging the battery might be the easiest if you can. Otherwise, to take out the Alternator, the way to do that is through the passenger side wheel well. You can find instructions with pictures by going here;
and enter your year, make, model and engine. (if you don't know which you have, it doesn't really matter) Then click the link for %26quot;Engine Electrical%26quot;, and it's the first section that pops up. You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.
Navigate back to the %26quot;Steering%26amp;suspension%26quot; section for help with the lower control arm. Like I said, a lot easier to just charge the battery and drive it to the mechanic if you can.How to change alternator for a 2002 Pt Cruiser?
Easiest is to charge the battery -you can do this with jumper cables and a running car. Then crank the Petey up. If will now run to Florida if you do not run radio, heater, lights etc. Drive it to mechanic and let him check it out and fix it.How to change alternator for a 2002 Pt Cruiser?
The PT utilizes a generator. I would recommend that you use a service guide if you attempt this procedure. It contains numerous illustrations and instructions for the sub procedures mentioned below.
Removal - 2.4L Turbo
The generator is located above the oil filter and axle shaft.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the 2 bolts from the top of the heat shield on the generator.
3. Remove nut from the upper T-bolt adjustment bracket.
4. Raise vehicle and support.
5. Remove the right front wheel.
6. Remove the accessory drive splash shield.
7. Remove the lower heat shield bolt.
8. Remove the generator heat shield.
9. Unplug the field circuit from the generator.
10. Remove the B+ terminal nut and wire.
11. Loosen the accessory drive belt t-bolt.
12. Remove the pencil strut.
13. Loosen the lower generator pivot bolt.
14. Remove the generator belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.
15. Remove the axle retaining nut.
16. Remove the lower control arm from the steering knuckle.
17. Remove the 2 bolts for the axle shaft bearing support.
18. Remove the axle shaft assembly. Put a container under the transmission to catch the transmission fluid from the transmission.
19. Remove the generator from the lower mounting bracket and set generator to the side.
20 . Remove the lower mounting bracket for the generator.
21. Remove generator through the axle shaft hole.
Installation - 2.4L Turbo
1. Install generator through the axle shaft hole in wheel well.
2. Put generator on upper t-bolt and loosen install the nut.
3. Install the lower mounting bracket for the generator to the block and tighten bolts to 54 N-m or 40 ft./lbs.
4. Loose install the lower pivot bolt for the generator.
5. Install the B+ terminal nut and wire and tighten nut to 11.3 N-m or 100 in./lbs.
6. Plug in the field circuit to the generator.
7. Install the axle shaft assembly.
8. Install the 2 bolts for the axle shaft bearing support and tighten bolts to 54.2 N-m or 40 ft./lbs.
9. Install the axle shaft into the steering knuckle.
10. Install the lower control arm to the steering knuckle and install the bolt and tighten bolts to 94.9 N-m or 70 ft./lbs.
11. Install the axle retaining nut and tighten nut to 244 N-m or 180 ft./lbs.
12. Install and tension the generator belt, refer to the Cooling section for more information.
13. Tighten the accessory drive belt t-bolt and tighten nut to 54 N-m or 40 ft./lbs.
14. Tighten the lower generator pivot bolt and tighten bolts to 54 N-m or 40 ft./lbs.
15. Install the pencil strut.
16. Install the generator heat shield.
17. Install the lower heat shield bolt and tighten bolt to 54.2 N-m or 40 ft./lbs.
18. Install the accessory drive splash shield.
19. Install the right front wheel.
20. Lower vehicle.
21. Tighten nut to the upper adjustment bracket and tighten to 25 N-m or 18 ft./ lbs.
22. Install the 2 bolts to the heat shield on the generator and tighten bolts to 4.5 N-m or 40 in./lbs.
23. Connect the negative battery cable.