Saturday, November 20, 2010

How difficult is it to change an alternator belt?

I have a 1998 BMW Z3. Is it difficult to change the alternator belt? I really don't know anything about car repair, but I'd like to avoid paying a mechanic to do something if I could easily do it myself.



If you have any how-to links, I'd greatly appreciate 'em.



thanks!How difficult is it to change an alternator belt?
just google for %26quot;bimmer forums%26quot; or similar items. There are a bunch out there and very helpful. I do know those engines do have a certain technique to replacing them, but most BMW's are fairly simple. (I am not sure of the exact proceedures for a z3) They are just very different from US cars.How difficult is it to change an alternator belt?
Ok , first its not the timing belt... your car has an auxillary belt driven alternator. Its not that difficult to do, just find the belt tensioner, loosen it and that should give you enough slack to pull it out. Beyond that I would suggest going to a parts house and buy a haynes or chilton's manual for your car. These will help you do almost anything you want to do to your car. hope this helps....good luck.